18 Jun Digital advertising market predicted to reach US$185.4bn by 2017
Read these 8 key facts about the growth of digital advertising from the Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2013-2017* report by PwC, to help you begin to understand the future of the marketing industry.
This insight gives us a picture of just how different the landscape will look like in a few years’ time, in terms of the wider marketing industry, and also importantly, the impact it will have on our individual job roles. It’s time to start looking at a new way of marketing.
- In 2012, digital advertising grew significantly. The global market reached US$100.2bn, a growth of 17% (YOY) which elevated it to a 20% share of the global advertising market.
- Growth in the digital advertising landscape can be traced to the developing markets where there are significant periods of growth. Beyond this, the developed markets are also growing and contributing to the global figure.
- In 2017 the market will reach US$185.4 billion worldwide, which is a staggering 29% share of the total global advertising market. At a growth of over 13% over just five years this makes it the second biggest spend after TV.
- The most significant share of the digital advertising market growth is search, which will lead with a 41% market share in 2017.
- The display market is set to grow at a rate of 10%, reaching US$49.9bn in 2017. This prompts the discussion of how new creative developments will be needed to create stand out display advertising.
- Classifieds will grow at a rate of 7%, reaching US$20.2bn in 2017. In the next five years we will see online classifieds take over from print versions in developing economies.
- In 2012 we saw the online video advertising market grow significantly, with an increase in annual revenue of approximately US$1bn, representing a growth of 33% YOY. The report indicates that growth will continue up to 2017, with revenues reaching US$12bn, boosted by a 26% growth rate.
- Mobile advertising will rocket, with growth forecast across all regions over the next five years: a 27% growth rate will ensure mobile advertising revenues will be in excess of US$27bn in 2017, constituting 15% of Internet advertising revenues.
In light of these figures, you can see the scale this predicted growth of the digital advertising market will impact the overall ad landscape. Now is the time to start focusing on digital advertising within your marketing and start preparing for the next five years of change.
If you want to increase your knowledge about digital advertising, ask us about our world-class digital advertising training. We deliver digital advertising training courses at introductory, practitioner and client master-class levels.
The Knowledge Engineers is the world’s leading digital training company, we provide training to marketing teams, agencies and media organisations across the world.
By taking our digital advertising courses your team will be able to put into practice the basic principles, learn how to optimise campaigns, transfer skills from the offline world, pitch online solutions to your clients and create integrated campaigns using digital video.
Contact us today to ensure your team is up to speed on digital advertising.